6.22.2011

Pav Bhaji

Hi Everyone!

I know it's been a VERY long time since I last posted, too long in fact.  Well this post acknowledges my Indian hertiage.  Pav Bhaji is one of my all-time favorite dishes.  Coming home from college I always requested my mom to make this for me upon my arrival.  It's spicy with layers and layers of flavor.  I ate this meal growing up almost every Friday night.  The dish  originated in Mumbai and it was made to be a quick lunch for workers.  It's a Mumbai speciality, in fact it's considered to be street food.  Walking the streets of Mumbai down Marine Drive you will find countless vendors all selling this item.  It's eaten with bread instead of the traditional roti or rice. You won't ever find it as good as the streets of Mumbai but I can promise you my Mom's, being the true Bombayian that she is, comes damn near close.  This recipe is not my original recipe, but my mother's, so thanks Mom!  With the right spices and the help of a food chopper, this meal can be made in 30 minutes.

Ingrediants:
3-4 small red onions
4 garlic cloves (one for every onion)
1/2 green bell pepper, seeds removed
1/4 of Chinese eggplant
1/4 of peas
2-3 boiled potatoes
4 ripe tomatoes

Spices:
Salt
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
2 Tablespoons Badshah (or any brand) Bombay Pav Bhaji Mix
2 teaspoons cumin-coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
1 Tablespoon Indian Red Pepper powder

Preparation:
1) Bring 2-3 Tablespoons of oil to heat in a large saucepan.
2) In the chopper, chop the onions, garlic, and bell pepper.  Sautee until cooked.
3) In a small saucepan, boil the peas until they become tender.
4) In a pressure cooker, or on the stove, boil the potatoes until cooked. 
5) In the chopper, chop the eggplant and add to the onion/garlic/bell pepper mixture.
6) In the chopper, grind the tomatoes.  It will look almost like a tomato soup.  Also, blend the peas.  (You can leave them whole, but in my family were not big pea people so my mom use to blend them so we wouldn't know it was in the dish)
7) Add the tomatoes and peas to the pan,  Cover and let it simmer for about 6-7 minutes.  You want to make sure all the vegetables are cooked thoroughly before adding the potatoes and spices.
8) Once the potatoes are cooked, removed the skin and smash the potatoes with a potato smasher.
9) Add the potatoes right away into the pan and mix thoroughly. 
10) Add the spices and mix, bring the Bhaji to a boil.  If it becomes too thick, add some water.
11) On a griddle butter some bread rolls and toast until golden brown.
12) Serve the Pav (bread) with the Bhaji, add some raw diced red onions, a squeeze of lemon and celentro on top for a garnish.  It will top off the dish.  Enjoy!

Unfortunately, this is NOT a picture my MY dish, but an image I downloaded from google image.  I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  I ate it before my camera was found.  SORRY!!

Home spices starting from top left, salt, Badshah Pav Bhaji Mix, Paprika, homemade Garam Masala, Indian Red Pepper Powder, and Cumin-Coriander Powder

**Note**
For a milder taste, reduce the Badshah mix, red pepper powder and garam masala!


No comments:

Post a Comment